Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Capitalization Rules

Well, here we go again!  Time to attack those grammar monsters that haunt us!  With better grammar we'll be able to become better writers and that's our goal!  Here are the six important rules to remember:

1)  Capitalize the first word in a sentence or in a direct quotation.

* My friend John said, "Hey, you forgot your game."  I laughed and thanked him. 

2) Capitalize "I" and names

* John Smith, Julia Potter, and I went to the store to buy some candy. 

3) Names of specific places, businesses, and languages

* My friend Rob is from Hauppauge, New York.  He took Spanish with my at Hauppauge High School.  Recently, I found him on Facebook and friended him. 

4) Product names

This one is a tricky one!  Just capitalize the name of the product, but not the kind of product.  This takes a lot of practice and careful thought.

* I don't really like Pepsi soda too much.  Mountain Dew soda, though, is great!  I just wish that 7-11 sold it for their Big Gulps.  

5) Days, weeks, months, and holidays

* On Groundhog's Day this past Tuesday, the little guy predicted that spring would come early.  Isn't that great?  Now that February is over I'm hoping for a much warmer March. 

6) Titles of books, movies, songs, books, poems, and stories.  Please note that the first word of titles are capitalized, but articles, conjunctions, and short prepositions are not capitalized.

* The Red Pyramid is a great book where the Egyptian gods come to life.  Another great book that I love is a classic:  The Old Man and the Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment