Thursday, March 31, 2011

Chapters 17-18, Red Midnight: Good Readers Envision

As you read Chapters 17 and 18 of Red Midnight in class, you looked for places full of imagery to write about.  Your reaction had to do with the two skills that we discussed in class:

1)  Good readers picture scenes in their heads.
2) Good readers can draw a scene and provide a summary for that scene.

I drew a VERY bad picture of Santiago sailing the cayuco between two shores in Chapter 16.  I'd share it with you, but I don't want you to think poorly of me. :)  In my explanation of that scene I said:

In this scene, Santiago is confused because he can't find the ocean.  He's stuck between two shores and begins to doubt himself.  Is he really a good sailor?  To make things worse, he hears a huge boat behind him, tooting!  He was terrified!  Was this another pirate boat, trying to capture and kill them?  Was this a boat full of soldiers?  The thoughts raced through his head.  Lucky for him it was just a tourist boat. :)  They thought it was cool to see a boy on a boat so they were snapping lots of pictures. :)

D

No comments:

Post a Comment